The apartment building on the corner of 33rd Street and Blaisdell Avenue told a discouraging and violent story fifteen years ago. There were more 911 drug-related phone calls regarding that building than anywhere in south Minneapolis.
One afternoon a DEA raid brought the property manager, police, and members of Zion Lutheran Church together. The people of Zion did not have experience with housing and property management, but they knew they could do better than the status quo! With support from partner congregations, Zion purchased the building, renovated the apartments, and began a housing ministry that offered family advocacy services to families transitioning from homeless shelters.
Today ZOOM (Zion Originated Outreach Ministry) House is an independent non-profit that continues to provide families with safe housing and a fresh start! Thanks to partner congregations, corporate grants, and individual friends and donors, ZOOM House continues to challenge the status quo by providing permanent, affordable housing and new beginnings to its families in the heart of Minneapolis.
Thank You, Partner Congregations
- Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Minneapolis
- Calvary Lutheran Church, Golden Valley
- Christ the King Lutheran Church, New Brighton
- Minnetonka Lutheran Church, Minnetonka
- New Life Presbyterian Church, Roseville
- Salem Lutheran Church, Minneapolis
- St. John’s Lutheran Church, Minneapolis
- Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church, Minneapolis
Thank You, Corporate Donors
- Otto Bremer Foundation
- Deadline Communication
- DeCare Dental
- GroundWorks Minneapolis
- Kopp Family Foundation
- Perennial Management
- Renaissance Foundation
- Saunders Family Foundation
- Target Foundation
- Thrivent Financial
- US Department of Housing and Urban Development